VSA Council Meeting Minutes 27 October 2013

7:00 // Call to Order…PRESIDENT

7:01 // Attendance…OPERATIONS
Absent: NONE
Proxy: STRONG

7:02 // Consent Agenda

Generation – Pre-Org ($50/$35)
VPI – Speakers/Social Consciousness ($0/$505.90)
Phil – Capital ($2100/$2100)
Vass Shakers – Pre-Org ($200/$200)
GAAP – Conference ($0/$900)
Minstrels – Collaboration ($0/$900)
QCVC – Speakers ($1700/$3000)
Davison – Collaboration ($500)
ASA – Capital ($273.54)
VARC – Collaboration ($180)
VSA Finance (Mug System) – Capital ($1500)
Minutes from 10/20/2013
Phil from the Capital Fund ($300)

STUDENT LIFE: Send QCVC back to committee and tabled to next week.

THE REST OF THE AGENDA IS APPROVED.

7:04 // Forum with EMS…EMS
One weekends we are on 24 hours of the day.
We respond to any emergencies on campus, students or visitors.
We can be contacted through CRC.
Campus control can contact EMS for assistance.
There were 11 calls for Halloweekend and 5 hospitalizations from last night.

FINANCE: How does that compare to last year? Previous year?
AT LARGE: Last year was 12. The year before that was 10. Founders Day is also roughly the same; Founders Day is our other high day.

TOWN STUDENTS: Do you respond to town students?
AT LARGE: They have to be on campus for us to respond.

TERRACE APARTMENTS: What does training entail? What is EMS’ relationship to the local community?
AT LARGE: You need to be CPR certified to work with EMS. In order to become a crew chief, or a decision-maker, you need to be an EMT. You can do this either through classes at Vassar or from home-towns.
We provide training every month at our general body meetings. We also provide weekend trainings from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. for practice situations.
For off-campus resources, we are connected with the Arlington Fire Department; they are the local EMS.
For sexual assault we have a whole host of other resources who are not connected to Vassar.

DAVISON: Can you talk about the decision-making for hospitalization?
AT LARGE: We will take students who are in a life-threatening situation to the hospital. I know a lot of students are worried about going to the hospital if they are intoxicated. We make the decision based on the safety of the student.
On other campuses people have died or been in life-threatening situation because they were left alone.

MAIN: Is there follow-up procedure?
AT LARGE: There is follow-up on campus. The reports written by EMS are read by Baldwin and Baldwin will send a follow-up email to the students to check on their health. If the problem is substance related, Renee Pabst will also email the student.

NOYES: Do these reports go to DB Brown?
AT LARGE: We are only communicating with Baldwin and these reports are confidential. Occasionally, DB Brown follows up using the incident reports collected by security.

NOYES: Do you have dorm-by-dorm statistical analysis?
AT LARGE: No we don’t. Only seasonal and annual reports.

TOWN STUDENTS: How much does it cost to be taken to the hospital?
AT LARGE: The ambulance ride is free. The hospitalization is what costs money. The bill is usually roughly $2000 without insurance.

FINANCE: What is the percentage of calls that are substance related?
AT LARGE: Last year, intoxication accounted for roughly 50% of all EMS calls.

2017: Are students responsible to get themselves from the hospital back to campus?
AT LARGE: CRC can call a taxi company.

RAYMOND: Do you know how we compare to other schools?
AT LARGE: I do not.

DAVISON: What are the most common events that prompt high EMS intoxication calls?
AT LARGE: It has traditionally been Halloween, Founders Day, and Shiva Rave.

TERRACE APARTMENT: How many people work with EMS?
AT LARGE: We have roughly 60 active members, so everyone works at least once a month.
In terms of decreasing calls, it’s a lot about educating students about how to enjoy themselves without going overboard. Encourage friends to look after friends. Also educating people that calling EMS to help an intoxicated friend is really for the best, especially given the Good Samaritan policy.

JEWETT: Do you know if parents are contacted?
AT LARGE: For students who are not legally an adult, under the age of 18, then parents will be contacted by the hospital. Parents are also contacted if a student is in a life-threatening situation. EMS never contacts parents.

NOYES: Can you speak to the Good Samaritan policy?
AT LARGE: The person who calls EMS will not be written up by security if that person is intoxicated.

NOYES: How does the incident report tie into that?
OPERATIONS: (as a members of EMS not OPERATIONS) Incident reports are not the same thing as being written up. If you show up on an incident report, you will not be asked to go before any panels to answer to these actions.
TERRY HANLON: Students will be documented in these reports but they won’t get in trouble for any use of banned substances. However, if other violations were committed by a person who are intoxicated that individual can still be written up for these violations.

HANLON: If students are involved in numerous Good Samaritan incidents, the student will then be asked to speak to either DB Brown or Renee Pabst about their drinking habits. Individuals can get in trouble for a “failure to comply” charge. The individual will not be in trouble for drinking, but can be under review for continuing risky behavior.

7:29 // Executive Reports…STUDENT LIFE
STUDENT LIFE: I finished the info graphic regarding sexual assault statistics.

TERRACE APARTMENTS: Can you speak about the gender-neutral bathroom project?
STUDENT LIFE: We are in talks about what a gender neutral bathroom would look like (should there be urinals, what kind of signage should be used?)

7:33 // Executive Board Reports…ACADEMICS
ACADEMICS: Peer-advising is happening on the 5th.We have advisors from 27 departments.
This past week I was working on the Dean of Studies search committee. If you know a professor who would be good, encourage them to apply.
The deadline is November 15th.
We are trying to re-evaluate the CEQ.
They are called the Student Course Evaluation; it’s still far off but this is as close as any change has ever been.
The Cognitive Science Program applied to become a Department. This decision will go to the Faculty floor in November.

2017: I have heard that the grading policy is under review, can you speak to this?
ACADEMICS: There are conversations around this issue, but grading itself is not changing. They are trying to figure out how to make grades more equitable. They are considering an annotated transcript.
JEWETT: It’s probably not going into effect while we are here.

7:39 // Certification of SEASA…ACTIVITIES
ACTIVITIES: South East Asian Student Alliance (SEASA) has been a preliminary organization for 5 semesters.

MOTION TO CERTIFY SEASA
Absentions: TAs, MAIN
Opposed: None

THIS MOTION PASSES

7:41 // Appointment of Davison Vice President…OPERATIONS
OPERATIONS: It is the committee’s recommendation that we leave the position open for more applications. The basis for this is that due to the break, not many students knew that they could apply. Also the committee was not overwhelmingly satisfied with the single candidate, so we want more time for people to apply. Applications will be due 31 October, with the potential appointment on 3 November.

MOVE TO DECLARE THE POSITION OPEN…OPERATIONS
Abstentions: Main, 2016
Opposed: None

THIS MOTION PASSES.

7:46 // Appointment of Jewett Vice President…OPERATIONS
OPERATIONS: Originally we had four applications, but one was a freshman which made the candidate ineligible.
We recommend Mya Horowitz for the position.

MOTION TO APPOINT MYA HOROWITZ…OPERATIONS
Abstentions: 2016, Jewett
Opposed: None

THIS MOTION PASSES

7:48 // Appointment of Jewett Secretary…OPERATIONS
OPERATIONS:
Originally we had three applications, but one was a freshman which made the candidate ineligible. Another candidate withdrew their application.
We recommend Tomas Guarnizo.

MOTION TO APPOINT
Abstentions: Jewett, 2016.
Opposed: None

THIS MOTION PASSES

7:50 // Appointment of Founders Day Co-Chairs…OPERATIONS
OPERATIONS: Normally we only have 2 co-chairs, but we found three strong candidates so we want three co-chairs.

MOTION TO APPOINT CAROLINA GUSTAVSON AS FOUNDERS DAY CO-CHAIR…OPERATIONS
Abstentions: STRONG, 2016, NOYES

7:52 // Appointment of Founders Day Co-Chairs…OPERATIONS
We also recommend Alix Lowe-Server.

MOTION TO APPOINT ALIX LOWE-SERVER AS FOUNDERS DAY CO-CHAIR…OPERATIONS
Abstentions: 2016
Opposed: NONE

THIS MOTION PASSES

7:53 // Appointment of Founders Day Co-Chairs…OPERATIONS
The committee also recommends sophomore So Sun Park.

MOTION TO APPOINT SO SUN PARK AS FOUNDERS DAY CO-CHAIR…OPERATIONS
Abstentions: 2016
Opposed: None

NOYES: Thank you to So Sun Park for coming to our meeting.
THIS MOTION PASSES.

7:55 // DECLARATION OF OPEN POSITIONS…OPERATIONS
OPERATIONS: We have received an application for the Noyes 2015 representative, so we are now putting a timeline on the application. Applications will be due on 31 October and the VSA will vote on the recommendation on 3 November.

MOTION TO DECLARE THE NOYES 2015 REPRESENTATIVE
Abstentions: None
Opposed: None

THIS MOTION PASSES

7:58 // Open Discussion

2014: Thank you to all of the help from members of Council with the organizing of the Halloween event.

PRESIDENT: I want to encourage any constructive criticism of the Halloween event to be emailed to 2014.
Instead of a quote on top of our agenda, we have an ‘in memory of’ Nancy Gannett ’49. In her obituary she asked that instead of flowers, she asked for donations to the VSA.
Also, I encourage members of Council to help with the Seven Sisters Conference.

OPERATIONS: Thank you to those people who helped with the appointment process.

FINANCE: I will be off-campus on Thursday and Friday, so there will be no office hours for Finance on those days.

ACTIVITIES: When you put in a request for a location for an event, please remember that this does not mean that you will necessarily be approved. Cathy Jennings must review the application and send a confirmation email.
Org storage space applications are due November 3.
Updated organization constitutions are due on November 18.

JEWETT: Dormal Formal is on Novembers 16.

2016: Damages done to dorms are divided among dorm residents at the end of the year.
Starting now, I think we should evaluate whether this is fair. I would like to consider other ways of dividing the damage charge burden among the student body.
1. Vassar, unlike many schools, maintains universal card access. This allows any student to go into any dorm at any time, meaning anyone can do damage to a dorm.
2. Some dorms receive more damage than others, especially Main and Jewett, because of their location and proximity to places like the Villard Room and the Mug.

2015: Strong and Josselyn Houses have open 2015 spring class council positions.

2014: If you have comments on the Halloween event, please email me in the next two days.
I do not want to receive emails about instances that took place outside of the Halloween event itself; this is not under our purview.
Also special thanks to the House Advisors for their help with the Halloween event.

8:13 // PRESIDENT DECLARED THE MEETING ADJOURNED.