VSA Council Minute Meetings- 10 November 2013

Hi guys! We are all starting late tonight, so I’ll let you know when the gavel knocks.

7:07// Call to Order…PRESIDENT
7:07// Attendance…OPERATIONS
Absent: CUSHING
Proxy: NONE

7:09// Consent Agenda
a. Challah – Collab ($80/$115)
b. Monkeys – Speakers ($1600/$2050)*
c. SJIP – Preorg ($30/$30)*
d. Limit – Speakers ($2750/$3000)
e. Helicon – Speakers ($2000/$3625)*
f. Capital to CSA $50
g. Quest Scholars (Pre-org) – $50

*denotes non-unanimous decisions

7:10 // Executive Board Report
PRESIDENT: I will be setting up an anonymous forum for councilmembers to discuss any concerns they have about Council. This will begin next week. There will be both a google doc and a box in the VSA office.

OPERATIONS:
Operations Committee completed 4 appointments this week. Thanks to all those who were part of the Committee, as this was very stressful.
The Committee is also reviewing the appointment process.
We are looking into some demographic surveys about who votes and who doesn’t for VSA Council positions.
Last year we voted to have an audit of the Council; this is what VSARC came out of. This is an important commitment that we made.
Dean Roellke agreed to have the administration pay for half of the audit fees. This is a really generous gift.
This audit needs to be a collaborative process. We made this commitment, and we need to see it through.

TAs: What is the status of VSARC now?
OPERATIONS: That’s actually a challenging question. There are 4 or 5 consistent members. It is in transition now because it is going from simply an Operations committee to an Operations and Student Life committee. I am currently investigating which external auditor to use.

2014: Will you send us moments of progress from VSARC can you send them to me so that I can tell my constituents?
OPERATIONS: Yes.

7:19//An Amendment Concerning the Appeals Process for Election Results…OPERATIONS

Principal Authors: Joshua Tempro, Class of 2016 Main House Representative; Maximilien Moran, Class of 2016 President; Maggie Donolo, Class of 2016 Representative to the Operations Committee; Abigal Johnson, Class of 2017 Lathrop
SECTION 11: Let Sub-Section F be amended to read:
The Board of Elections Chairs shall post and publicize the names of the winners,
and the total vote counts of each race all results within 24 hours of the end of the
voting period. Access to the remaining voting information, including individual
vote breakdown by candidate will be made accessible to members of the VSA
through the Board of Elections Co-Chairs and/or VP for Operations. Individuals,
including candidates, shall not be notified of results until such results are publicly
SECTION 11: Let Sub-Section A be amended to read:
A VSA member may protest any questionable action by another VSA member related to the election process to the Board of Elections Chairs. A VSA member may appeal any official decision or posting of results by the Board of Elections Chairs within 24 72 hours back to the Board of Elections Chairs, unless extenuating circumstances deem otherwise as decided by the Board of Elections Chairs.
ENACTMENT: As is prescribed in the Article XII Section 1 of the Constitution, this amendment shall be enacted by a two-thirds majority vote of the VSA Council. The VSA Governing Documents shall be shifted accordingly to reflect these changes.

2016: We have decided that we should not be sending out the voting breakdown, as it can be really shameful for students who did not receive many votes.

2015: Are the results emailed out or are they posted on the website?
OPERATIONS: They used to be emailed out, but this year we posted the election on the website. I took them down after getting a number of complaints, and this is the byproduct of these concerns.

FINANCE: I just wanted to express my approval and say thank you to those authors of the amendment who do not sit on Council.

TAs: What kinds of complaints did you receive?
OPERATIONS: We get complaints about this every year. There were people who said that they would never run if they knew their results would be publicly posted. There were also people who ran who said they felt bullied from this posting.

2017: Will the percentage of votes received by the winner be posted?
OPERATIONS: No they will not.

2015: How do we store the information we don’t publish?
OPERATIONS: I think that we should pass an Operations Committee that would change how results are stored for posterity.

This amendment will be voted on next week.

7:29// Appointment of Davison Vice President…OPERATIONS
OPERATIONS: We recommend the position of Vice President Luke Kachelein. We understand that Davison will lose a junior class representative, but Davison needs a vice president more.

OPERATIONS MOVES TO APPOINT LUKE KACHELEIN TO BE VP FOR DAVISON.

Voting
Abstentions: 2015, DAVISON, 2016.
Opposed: NONE

THIS MOTION PASSES.

7:31// Appointment of Class of 2014 Secretary…OPERATIONS
There were 5 applicants for this position. The Operations Committee recommends Katie Adrian to the position.

OPERATIONS MOVES TO APPOINT KATIE ADRIAN TO BE 2014 SECRETARY.

Voting:
Abstentions: 2016
Opposed: NONE

THIS MOTION PASSES.

7:34// Appointment of Noyes House Junior Representative
There were two applicants for this position. We recommend the appointment of Dan Kilion for the spring semester. We chose not to fill the position for the fall semester, as there is only one month left.

OPERATIONS MOVES TO APPOINT DAN KILLION TO BE SPRING NOYES JUNIOR REPRESENTATIVE.

Voting:
Abstention: 2016
Opposed: NONE

THIS MOTION PASSES.

7:38// Appointment of South Commons Programming Director…OPERATIONS
Hillary Frame

OPERATIONS MOVES TO APPOINT HILLARY FRANK TO SOUTH COMMONS PROGRAMMING DIRECTOR.

Abstentions: 2016, SO COs
Opposed: NONE

THIS MOTION PASSES.

7:40// Open Discussion

JEWETT: Dormal Formal is this Saturday in the Rose Parlor and Villard Room starting at 10:00 p.m.

2016: This week there was more restructuring in terms of representatives to the 2016 Class Council. We had our first
Thank you to The Misc for the coverage; it was really well written.

FINANCE:
The committee met this week regarding our committee laws.
Something that we are concerned about is Councilmembers presenting fund applications before Council.
P-Card auditing is happening now.
If there is something you want to take of the Consent Agenda in regards to Finance recommendations, please email me ahead of time so that we can change the agenda.

OPERATIONS: What if we are treasures for a student organization?
FIANCE: I would advise someone else present the application as you will be voting on the application. But this isn’t a policy set in stone yet.

2014: Congratulations to ACADEMICS for the peer advising event.

The meeting has adjourned.