VSA Council Meeting—23 February 2014

Hey, everyone, we’re off to a late start today, but things should get going shortly. In the meantime, hope everyone’s Sunday is going well and that the Blackout didn’t ruin your Saturdays.

7:05 // Call to Order
Attendance ……………Operations
Proxies: Davison, Jewett.

7:07 //
Consent Agenda

a. Business Club (Disc).………………..;………………………………………….($90/

b. Slow Foods

c. Misc (Capital)…………..…………………………………………..($114.3/$114.3)

d. Operation Donation (Collab)..……………..…………….….…………($650/

e. VCTV (Disc; Capital)………………………………($600/$600; $3359.04/

f. VARC (Speakers)

g. Minutes from 2/16/14

CONSENT AGENDA PASSES.

7:08 // Forum on IME ….Professor Rebecca Edwards

EDWARDS: I’m the chair of the committee, which is a sub committee of the committee on curricular policy. We’re exploring the possibility of introducing a requirement for an intensive mentored exploration. This would be in effect for the Class of 2019 or 2020. We can’t surprise current students. We would be thinking about this for a while; students might see more opportunities for intensive mentored work. And right now we’re looking for student feedback about pros and cons of such work, what challenges would we face. You might have heard of this before as a capstone initiative, and that means lots of things. At a big research university this would be something much different, so the word doesn’t fit what we’re thinking of; we’re looking at national studies and different practices and benefits. This would lead to an increased self confidence, skills in research and time management, enhanced capacity to think creatively and critically, improve oral skills—all these have been reported from studies, something to talk about with employers, something seniors have done becomes a centerpiece for their job search, and shows what they can do.

(Issues with the powerpoint presentation arise)

There are certain aspects that seem to contribute to these results: sustained contact with faculty, carving out your own topic in some fields, also increased engagement and intellectually capacity to demonstrate knowledge; aspects that support these results are structured revisions, engagement with diverse perspectives, frequent feedback, opportunities for real-world application and public presentation. The percentage of the Class of 2013 who pursue independent projects vary among ethnicities, 75% white students choose to do a senior project, there is a much smaller pool of African American, Asian American and Hispanic students—is this work getting to all the students? More men than women choose to do a project, too. We’re not seeking to add more to your full academic year but rather to reorient the senior year so everyone gets the opportunity. This would be 1 unit throughout senior year, and advising could take place between several departments though most would be through the major or .5 unit plus—such as JYA plus to reflect on cross-cultural experience, URSI plus using URSI project as jumping off point. There are more possibilities than we have currently. There is 4-5 year implementation period, now we’re try to develop and regularize IME offerings. We want to set up a campus-wide advisee assignment system so that by the end of junior year students would indicate areas in which they want to work so that multi-disciplinary departments would be on equal field. Faculty would begin banking faculty workload points which would contribute to teaching load so that it is recognized and assessed as part of teaching load. We want to plan for impact and identity funds and resources to support initiative-address impact on curriculum. This needs to be a collective development; we talked with the VSA academic affairs, and we’re planning on reaching out to majors committee. We would like to do questions and answers and also work in small groups so that we can hear from everyone. I brought sheets to give feedback and put in ideas, we’re trying to envision thinking more broadly about what kinds of intensive mentored work can be done such as field work with an added academic aspect. What needs to be done to make it work well? You’re in a good position to tell us how Vassar is or isn’t ready to implement this. What do we have? What don’t we have?

PRESIDENT: You mentioned you need fundraising. I’m concerned because if there are already courses that are hard to get into, would the money go to getting more faculty?

EDWARDS: One of the needs but not the only, we have a long list—staffing would have to be a piece of it, we’ve been soliciting input from departments and where it’s the most crunched, that’s where we’re looking at resources that could be put, some departments are receptive to the idea but are too crunched to do it.

AT LARGE—MICHAEL NORTON ’14: My thought is that the methodology seems preemptive, does this consider barriers to academic areas that exist already? Inaccessibility is already established, but it seems a little late to consider this. I would like to see statistics across socio-economic divisions.

EDWARDS: We want it too but we don’t have it. We want to adopt this as scaffolding, how does one prepare from the moment you arrive at Vassar? That’s why we’re looking at distribution requirements and the freshman writing seminar; this is an opening point because we as faculty haven’t had this discussion in a while, we don’t have any requirements beyond freshman year and the language and quantitative requirements, so this is coming at things from a different angle to help us think about how to go on from there.

AT LARGE—JOSHUA SHERMAN ‘116: I have a question about accessibility, how is this concerning resources for grants that already exist and students who aren’t looking ahead?

EDWARDS: Ideally students ought to be having mentored experiences sooner, like if you do work in biology there are things you should be doing early so we want to do this as well.

2017: Are these classes geared to specific research or are they independent projects?

EDWARDS: We don’t envision this as a classroom experience, but there are borderlines such as seminars that involve not meeting weekly but to work on paper and then do mini conference,so something like that we might want to strengthen it, some are more collaborative and some are more free-standing. Some involve summer research, but it depends on departments and programs and the major.

2017: On average how many students would be assigned to faculty?

EDWARDS: We would cap it at 6 points worth, there would be few exceptions, there may be lab contraints.

RONSHEIM: We don’t know how diverse this would be, so we’re trying to get ideas of what you want, can’t do staffing until we get student perspectives; this is the beginning of a long conversation.

7:31 // Council and At Large break up into smaller groups to discuss

7:36 // Discussions end.

PRESIDENT: Let’s go around, and everyone can say one thing they came up with in any one of the categories.

FERRY: How does this affect Admissions?

JEWETT: How would they be graded?

TAs: Can we ask you how you grade thesis?

EDWARDS: As you would expect, practices vary around campus. Sometimes they are graded, and sometimes not. Admissions feels it’s a positive thing.

SOCOs: We were concerned how it would affect course availability. In some departments it’s already a struggle, so if faculty were hired we’d want to make sure departments that were understaffed would also be staffed.

THs: If this increased accessibility, for low socioeconomic groups might be a good trade off for less classes.

CUSHING: We were thinking of creative forms this could take—poetry or musical performances.

EDWARDS: We’re talking about senior recitals for credit.

FINANCE: We’re not all academics, and this is isolating and would further isolate those not interested.

ACTIVITIES: Conforms to competitive ideals of thesis.

PRESIDENT: Could you work in extra curricular activities like the Misc, i’m also concerned with data on different genders and races: does that break down by majors?

EDWARDS: It’s hard to get at, but it varies a lot. I think 9 majors require it, some allow it for honors, which would not be our intent. It would need to be available for everyone.

OPERATIONS: This could be a benefit. Students have another opportunity to form strong bonds with faculty and have a mentoring relationship for academics and professional stuff.

STUDENT LIFE: Media is another form, curricular development for high schools and middle schools. Also, the curriculum at Vassar is very theory based, an this would be a great way to teach how to apply theory that you learn. It could affect job offers later, so this could be applying liberal arts education to the real world.

ACADEMICS: I’ve talked to some majors committees, people wondered how it works to do it outside their major area, if departments offer it as way to get honors would they have to do something new to get honors.

EDWARDS: Doing a senior project could no longer be criteria for honors, and it can be done to change but requires a lot of thinking.

MAIN: Because this seems constructed between student and faculty how could things outside research be translated to IME.

TOWN STUDENTS: On the one hand this is a great opportunity for collaboration, but I’m worried that it might be suffocating academic freedom.

EDWARDS: There are colleges with intensive capstone and we didn’t want to go that way, this would most liley be cumulative work done senior year. It’s great to last as long as possible but also able to change throughout student’s career.

NORTON: Do you have data on student body who have done ford or creative projects or other stuff that would be classified as IME, are we not just naming something that already happens and thus putting a drain on faculty? It seems weird to tax faculty and tax students.

EDWARDS: Write us if more ideas come up, ideas would be extremely helpful,

RONSHEIM: Any and all ideas are welcome.

7:47 // Forum on Student Gift …..Student Gift Chairs (Michael Renner and Jessica Tarantine)

RENNER: What the gift is: it’s a one time gift to student body that does not require funds from operating budget. The point is to be student led philanthropy, giving back to student body itself, and it’s much more about participation rather than physical gain. The goal is to get as much participation as possible rather than a certain amount of money; the gift is important because even students paying full are subsidized. Money is always taken from past and current gifts. It’s important for students to understand the process, important for alums to get behind student gift, and it can change what is happening on campus. We hope to show what students are interested in.

TARANTINE: This year the gift is the internship grant fund that provides financial assistance to students in low- or un-paid internships. It helps to leverage the liberal arts degree so they can get employment after Vassar. This keeps with Vassar’s goals of accessibility. Normally each year $20-40,000 is given each year by CDO but half of students who apply get money. And this year it will be open to graduating seniors, so they can apply for internships, too.

RENNER: We’re hoping that you see a gift that’s different from years past; we think the gift needs an overhaul in terms of advertising and branding—usually they send an appeals letter which is flat, so in the next few weeks expect postcards which will be fun thing to stick on the wall. We’re moving to a crowd funding site to keep track of gifts given, and we can connect to social media. We’re hoping for renewed social media presence. The more students see the gift they’ll be more inspired to give. We’re still doing the student-faculty basketball game in late march. There are surprises ahead, we’ll going door to door, and we hope giving will be much easier. Students can input credit card info on ipads, and we’re not accepting change this year because it’s hard to deal with these gifts on the backend. We’re asking for $1 min in bill form which we hope will not be a deterrent.

TARANTINE: We would like you to be good student ambassadors for it, since it’s given by entire student body so please give. It doesn’t matter how much. Post on the Facebook wall after you give. This year we have new challenges—normally there is an alum donation, and this year we have 4, one 10,000, one 2500, one 1000, one 5000. The class that has highest participation, 10,000 will be credited to the class. Now it’s an all student gift so we can tabulate how much is given at each year, we have dorm challenges, we would love if you let constituencies that we’ll be coming door to door, let people know about it, we think it’s an important cause.

OPERATIONS: I want to thank Renner for feeding Valerie (the VSA fish) over Thanksgiving break. She did not die.

MAIN: How much did you fundraise in the past?

RENNER: We’re not setting a monetary goal—senior year will traditionally give most, participation for each class will be different, sophomores will give less. Alumnae/i donations are concrete and it’s more of an embarrassment if you don’t reach the goal. We have to speak at commencement and it reflects poorly on the student body when they don’t give.

TARANTINE: They usually give about $10,000 a year.

RAYMOND: Do you have study breaks?

TARANTINE: Yes, we do.

RENNER: We’re open to any orgs who want us to explain the gift to students and provide food; we gave blurb for indecent exposure, we’re doing the limit show, we’re trying to integrate into everything that happens on campus.

2015: It might be worth noting that not everyone can give, so keep that in mind.

RENNER: That’s why our goals are not monetary because we know some students can’t give much, or at all, and that is understandable. Maybe some students can give small amount. Instead of buying a coke that day, give to the gift.

2015: I need my caffeine.

JEWETT: Maybe there can be a student gift dinner or talent show where students perform and students can give right after.

RENNER: That’s what the student faculty game has been because ticket sales go right to contribution. We’re exploring new ideas. We are working with the Development Office to get a better gift moving forward.

SHERMAN: The goal is participation, so have you looked into ways that people can give time or 5k’s?

TARANTINE: In terms of volunteering, we would welcome going door to door or tabling.

RENNER: We appreciate ideas but the unfortunate reality is that a gift to the college is almost always monetary, which is going to follow you after you graduate. The student gift is preparing students to being a part of that philanthropy. We want to educate students to be critical of why they’re giving.

PRESIDENT: Nobody will hold you accountable if you are unable to give to the student gift. You can still post on Facebook, call it ‘slacktivism’ if you want, but it does make a difference.

RENNER: If you haven’t received money from IGF you probably know someone who has, it’s important that the gift can be bigger to help people.

SoCos: Be aware of crowdfunding because some display how much you give, and considering the discussion of sensitivity make sure there’s no pressure.

RENNER: Our pages show how much you give but that will be taken down probably.

MAIN: Is it inappropriate for orgs to contribute?

FINANCE: Yes.

TAs: Can you explain how financial aid is factored into the Internship Grant Fund?

RENNER: When you apply to the IGF, you release financial aid records. The fund is need based, and once that need is fulfilled they will continue funding students who don’t demonstrate need. Rules with endowment in terms of percentage given each year.

8:10 // Executive Board Reports …..PRESIDENT

PRESIDENT: Late Night at the Deece has been a thing; it’s in its 3rd weekend. Please send feedback, the only complaint is that people want to use meal swipes which we can institute when it’s not in trial period. I’m on the Committee for Search Admissions and Financial Aid, and that just started up. I’ve gotten concerns about how slippery it is—I’m on it—we’ve talked to Bob (Walton) and there is a limit on unions. We’re looking at getting shovels to students and making sidewalks a priority. Cappy and Bob have responded to student labor dialogue; we’re trying to make open dialogue a continual thing. The goal is to have the bookstore moved out over the summer and moved into Juliet’s with the Apple Store and a burger place—it’s a public space to have meeting, bookstore will be run by independent co-op. It might make for cheaper textbooks. We’re looking at better utilizing the College Center—student space is a priority. The board meeting this weekend, next Sunday Eve Dunbar will come in to talk about campus climate. The Campaign—the school asks alumnae/i for money in conjunction with Mind the Gap Day; it’s a 30-hour challenge to get 500 people to participate, we got 1200 and raised $150,000, want us to encourage us to do small participation throughout the year.

I had a really great dialogue with Stacy from the CDO. Anytime you meet an alum, ask if they’re hiring because sometimes they are.

2015: If we could go to the bathroom on the first floor, so much more convenient because three flights of stairs isn’t worth it.

AT LARGE: Could you expand on how the textbooks would be cheaper?

PRESIDENT: Barnes and Noble can do stuff as a company and the plan is to get rid of Barnes and Noble.

2016: Did you find out if the two people hired for Metcalf are new or are they replacing two people?

PRESIDENT: They are essentially replacing two people.

2016: So nothing’s changing.

PRESIDENT: Not yet, but that doesn’t mean they won’t.

FINANCE: They are looking into what is the role of the Bookstore. Make it about what students need.

SOCOS: One concern is that if we lose Barnes and Noble we will lose the online function where you can find all your textbooks.

ACADEMICS: The bookstore would be more like a place to find cheaper books, and it might be able to keep that technology since it’s on Vassar’s server.

RAYMOND: Will the bookstore take Vcash?

PRESIDENT: Probably.

DAVISON: Will they reinstate using student accounts to pay for books?

PRESIDENT: It wasn’t mentioned, but I will bring it up.

8:22 // Executive Board reports…. OPERATIONS

OPERATIONS: The amendment about restructuring has been source of conversation; last week we talked in various committees (Board of Elections, Activities, Operations), talk to Activities, Raymond, and Cushing and Student Life. We’ve reached a Tasty Tuesday solution. Hills and Marks that provides compostable containers will offer bulk at 10% discount to all Tasty Tuesday vendors. Some are more optimistic than others, and it will be written into the contract next year. Once we do this we can set up compost bins around College Center to eliminate contamination. We’re making bulletin boards downstairs more useful with all contact info for contact info and advertisements/posters. We’re talking about the information campaign—co-opt another area to put up folders with info, and ideas about resources that should be made accessible should be mentioned with a sheet of facts and numbers. Also, Facebook and Twitter should become more active in the future.

AT LARGE: Will there be more vegan vendors?

OPERATIONS: There’s a woman from a vegan restaurant who’s interested, and if she gets her paper work in she should be there next Tuesday.

8:26 // Motion to take 5 minute break

MOTION PASSES.

8:34 // Council Reconvenes

OPERATIONS: I’ve been working with Evan Seltzer ’14 to change the definition of academic misconduct and plagiarism; there is reason to what is a little wrong from what is very wrong, and the judicial board can’t punish people for something that is small. This will be voted on next week then passed on to Joanne Long. Example: People working together on homework when they shouldn’t is not considered plagiarism, but they did something that is academically dishonest, so they should be punished.

AT LARGE—CHRIS BROWN ’16: Speaking as a Jud. Board rep, the definition is broad and there is chronological list of punishments, we were trying to come up with more fluid form of punishment to be more fair.

2015: It has something to do with derogatory marks on transcripts, why does DB oppose it?

JEWETT: Isn’t doing group work still cheating?

ACADEMICS: What is the faculty viewpoint on this?

OPERATIONS: At this point it’s Jud. Board proposed, and supported by their advisor, Kelly Grab and DB Brown.

8:39 // Preliminary Org Budget Amendment ….Activities

ACTIVITIES: Currently, no preorgs should have budget numbers, some preorgs that need numbers to put money into account or have money from an outside source; amendment says it’s at the discretion of Finance.

JEWETT: So they get a budget number?

PRESIDENT: It’s at the discretion of finance to decide rather than assuming they cannot.

FINANCE: Some orgs revolve around raising money so we might as well put it with VSA, doesn’t change how much they get.

MOTION PASSES.

8:42 // Board of Elections and Appointments Amendment ….Operations

PRESIDENT: Operations is gone, would anyone like to speak to the Board of Elections and Appointments Amendment?

CUSHING: We spend a lot of time doing appointments and it’s a drain on energy and time. It would be reasonable for the Board of Elections to do it, it gives the responsibility to them.

2016: Restructure board to include more reps from at large student body and members of council, similar to judicial board. Oustide people appoint vacant positions, if position that’s vacant is member of house team is not great rep the two people will be house president. If the person is class rep it will be class rep and president, if other like VP, secretary other House Team stuff it will be two House Team presidents.

TA’s: The problem with ranking positions by important—it’s publicly ostracizing, like an amendment that didn’t pass.

PRESIDENT: We can change that part in Operations committee.

FINANCE: Did Ops discuss using consent agenda to approve appointments so as not to vote on every single appointment?

2016: We talked bout how it would be approved, some opposed to consent agenda because people would not be treated as points, I advocated for it not to come to council at all, it should be separate, not a consensus in the committee.

AT LARGE: We went back and forth between whether it should be interviews or coming to council at all.

2014: Now that we’re expanding Board of Elections possibly, members who served could not in future elections.

NOYES: How does this work for TAs?

OPERATIONS: Two senior housing presidents.

RAYMOND: We talked about how council has appeal for who is or isn’t appointed, gives more of a say to Ops.

PRESIDENT: Ops will review and we can vote next week.

8:48 // Vacant Positions Amendment ….Operations

NICHOLS: Purpose is due to a strict reading of constitution because we don’t have the power to replace people who have resigned or left, it only deals with positions that were never filled. This expands on circumstances in which vacancies actually occur, must be declared and publicized as vacant, if the Board appointment does not agree on a candidate and House Team or Class council is fine. The Board can close the position until next election, VP executes position but only the duties until appointment.

FINANCE: If we can’t fill position should we talk about why it exists?

OPERATIONS: We say that positions can be not filled if we’re having trouble, but there aren’t many positions that don’t get filled ever, if there are positions consistently unfilled that’s a problem.

PRESIDENT: We will vote next week.

8:53 // Joint Committees Amendment …..Operations

RAYMOND: Not finished, haven’t talked in Ops, but the purpose is to make joint-committee reps more accountable, stipulate that joint-committee reps will sit on appropriate standing VSA committees to give us better understanding of what they do.

OPERATIONS: CLRG is open to all students.

2016: Sort of did this is class council, ask each grade rep to sit on class council.

STUDENT LIFE: I fear too much influence of VP.

PRESIDENT: Better that it’s vague, allows for more delegation.

OPERATIONS: Grading reps is a good idea, would be good to work it in and make it official.

TAs: Do all these members hinder its efficiency?

OPERATIONS: Makes it more open for members, can come when they want to.

PRESIDENT: They could sit on a sub-committee.

RAYMOND: All of joint-committees fall under ops so this spreads them out.

PRESIDENT: We’ll vote on it next week.

8:58 // Resolution on VSA Restructuring ….Operations

OPERATIONS: This would be a good time to revisit the conversation, I can give logistical answers.

TA’s: Which committees are you supposed to sit on, does there need to be complete revision?

FINANCE: I can send proxy to SARC

Activities: Campus Activities and SARC

PRESIDENT: Student rep to Board of Trustees, finance and planning.

OPERATIONS: Alum Directors, finance and planning.

STUDENT LIFE: CCL, DEC (drug education), SAVP (sexual assault prevention), CIE (inclusion and excellence), BIRT, Orientation; also ALANA Center and LGBTQ.

PRESIDENT: A lot is just that we have VSA reps, just has to be a student to make sure someone does,

ACADEMICS: Curricular policy, capstone committee, library com, CCP, grade inflation.

PRESIDENT: We have admin reps to talk and also talk as an exec board, don’t have to be done we just can’t delegate.

2015: I’m not sure it’s possible to get this through before elections, what’s still on the table.

OPERATIONS: A referendum before spring elections isn’t possible, because we need signed petition with 330 signatures of language that will be voted on, then submitted to BoE, that goes to CIS who would like a 2 week window to set up elections. This would put pressure on them. We wouldn’t be able to do a referendum until spring break and we wouldn’t have results until elections. The alternative is that we could support as council and vote on it as amendment, voted on at any time; there have been suggestions about how it can be adopted, there is period of both old and new council with joint meeting to pass annual budgeting; we can also vote on changes then which would allow new council to vote at that time rather than us giving it to them;new positions for fall or spring elections, fall exclude freshmen, job description changed very late.

CUSHING: We’ve had lots of conversations and the consensus is that it’s not possible to do referendum, it is an internal change which affects VSA, student forums we got some feedback, most are in favor, if no referendum there are other ways to gauge student interest—more forums, do through houses, send survey, would like to consider this feasible, could make things a lot easier.

RAYMOND: Are people confortable with a poll for constituencies? We talked in Student Life about calling it college resources not just campus, might be hard for college resources to find its identity, make it a committee with two chairs, which could meet jointly at discretion of VPs, changed wording for VP so as to not exclude straight white males, to quote 2015.

JEWETT: When are elections over?

PRESIDENT: April 16 will be the end

JEWETT: What does CIS have to do?

Ops: CIS puts in names of candidates and determine which elections are occuring and making constiuencies able to vote so that everyone has access to correct elections

PRESIDENT: We have all the positions available before spring break.

OPERATIONS: We have to pass this amendment this week. We intend to vote tomorrow night.

JEWETT: Can I call it into question to vote on it tonight?

PRESIDENT: Yes you can.

CUSHING: We want to vote next week is that ok?

PRESIDENT: yes especially with proxies.

OPERATIONS: We could vote next week.

2016: I would like to commend efforts of those who worked on it. I think our VSA structure is top heavy and work is not done by y=us. We are supposed to do work on our own that we are not a part of especially with student governance. For example Danny’s workload seems absurd, as does Stephanie’s. But by making 2 more VP’s we’re splitting work among VP’s rather than bringing the work to us. Consider using a senate structure before moving forward. It is really an internal change and we are most knowledgable about it, but this needs to be brought to the students. I feel strongly that we need a referendum. If 15% VSA objects, which is 120 people, it has to go to referendum. I feel more students would want to be involved with making structural changes. It’s outside of our authority to make these changes. If students won’t respond to a referendum we are failing in our positions. i admire hard work and the urgency of it. It needs to be done in the appropriate way. There are over 2000 students at this school and we need to give them the chance.

AT LARGE: Who is this for? It seems to be motivated by internal desire rather than external motivator. Uses rather vague language that privileges people worth access to these positions. Given the last of institutional memory in VSA at large and diluting spaces in which these discussions occur I feel as an outsider that this seems ti be reating more beuracracy.

PRESIDENT: Motion to extend 20 minutes.

Jewett, Ferry, Finance 2017 oppose, motion passes.

PRESIDENT: I usually don’t take an opinion, I apologize if I offend anyone. I’m glad you’ve reached out to some people, but I don’t think this is universally supported. I looked through Misc archives to see that since 1979 we have discussed restructuring. Current structure is 7 years old, Student Life position was added at that time. Problem with institutional memory is that nobody does the research to see what has been done before, but we as a council should be delegating more. These committees can be effective when we try. We could support those groups rather than doing the same thing differently. People are listening to us, based on the amendments we have made, such as NY Times and gender neutral bathrooms. This takes time, nothing is immediate. We have to step up; adding new positions will create more of a divide between those who want to make changes and those who haven’t voiced their opinions. You can write your own letter. Brainstorm other committees. Adding new positions will not make this better on its own. Ask each committee to reflect at the end of the year. VSA is inaccessible because we are not reaching out. If you’re upset put the blame on me and this group. We have wasted 30 years when we could have been working on tougher issues. Reflect on your own actions before adding new positions.

NOYES: Can we vote for parts of this separately?

OPERATIONS: You would have to make 2 separate amendments.

TOWN HOUSES: As much as we want student opinions, students don’t care.

AT LARGE: As someone who doesn’t care, the VSA seems inaccessible because of issues of transparency which cannot be solved by creating new positions with jargon and vague language. I don’t have the answers but from outsider perspective all you do is talk about yourselves. It feels like you don’t care about what students want. It comes from introspection, the internal and external dialogues need to happen. This isn’t what I need to access you.

CUSHING: Thank you for your input, this is the conversation I’ve wanted to have since training. Finally something I said has been heard even if this legislation is just an idea. I want to continue to talk about this.

STUDENT LIFE: Glad to be having this conversation. I’m glad you’re here as an at large member because I understand the lack of student caring, which should be conveyed. SO few students have voiced this, because we hear ourselves talk all the time. My position is to serve as diversity why have so few white men served in my position? I’m concerned about this in the future. I feel uncomfortable for the future.

2017: Looking forward what steps are we taking to fix the workload if we’re not going with this?

PRESIDENT: There are certain committees that make sense to have VP’s sit on, as long as you’re reporting back it doesn’t have to be the VP. Each committee should talk about what they do because an amendment doesn’t make the successor do it.

2015: VP’s don’t have to do all the work, they should give the work to others. I call this into question.

PRESIDENT: We are voting to vote on the amendment.

2015 jewett Main 2017 TH Ferry vote to vote on it. Motion fails.

OPERATIONS: We need to stop writing documents, we need to reach out to constituents. Student government isn’t supposed to just talk to itself, we’ve lost sight of what it is that we do. It’s something that we can all do because we talk to people on a daily basis.

2016: Move to table this amendment.

NOYES: Can we divide this before?

PRESIDENT: Operations can divide this in their meeting.

2015 and Noyes oppose, the motion passes.

9:39//Resolution on restructuring

RAYMOND: I motion to move this to next week to work on it more.

2015: We should have voted on the amendment and talked about the resolution more.

OPERATIONS: At no point does tabling mean we have to vote on it. We just seem to have killed it. This resolution is us talking about ourselves but then not.

FINANCE: I just never want to see it again.

Motion to table: 2015 opposes, the motion passes.

9:41//Open discussion

2014: It took me 17 minutes to eat a pizza I could have 7766 pizzas before graduation.

ACADEMICS: Thanks to TA’s for being a great rep on IME committee. Please encourage people to apply for student seminars.

JEWETT: Last week we talked about moving our location, what happened?

PRESIDENT: We’re doing it in UpC next week.

FINANCE: We are missing Mac chargers.

2017: All College Day went well.

2016: Sorry Jewett that your event didin’t happen, it should be paid for by VSA in the future. We spent too much time looking in ourselves but I still commend the people who have tried to restructure because if the system is broken we need to look how to be more efficient. I would triple the staff at Metcalf if I were President of Vassar for a day. I’m meeting with Cappy to press that issue. We don’t need to just sit in this council, we can talk to administrators.

TOWNHOUSES: The dialogue from the outside needs to keep happening.

OPERATIONS: A lot of external stuff is for every VP, please come to Operations because this is our responsibility.