VSA Meeting 12 6 15 7:07 Consensus Agenda…

VSA Meeting 12/6/15

7:07 //Consensus Agenda

Item 6 is removed from consensus agenda.

Consensus Agenda passes!

7:08// Forum with Dean of Campus Life and Diversity Ed Pittman

Pittman: I have a few stories to tell from when I graduated. Ronald Reagan was just elected president. Divestment from South Africa was a major issue on campus. There were arcade games in the MPRs. They sold beer in the retreat, the drinking age was 18. I remeber campus as a place where students were active and critical. I want to talk about the Campus Life Office but I also want to talk about some principles that are extremely important. There is the principle of equity, fairness, honesty and inclusion. I didn’t start with diversity because diversity is about getting people in the room. THat isn’t easy but once you get diversity, what happens after that? Let’s assume that we have accomplished a degree of that in many of our instituoins. Once that happens, how do we function under the principles that I just shared. Let me tell you a brief summary of the Campus Life and Diversity Office. If I leave her without somehow showing that then maybe we should rethink what the Office does at Vassar. Historically diversity offices have been categoraized as spaces thatdeal with one group of people. The true notion of diversity is that it should touch everyone. One of our first programs is I am Vassar. We call it I am Vassar. It is designed to open up questions about what diversity looks like. When we ask those questions, we try to fit everyone in the room. All of you should have gone through that experience. The core of our office should be around four offices. We have the ALANA Center which is run by B Nathan. We have the Religion and Spiritual Life Office which is run by Sam Speers. The LGBTQ Center run by Judy Jarvis. I hope that you have seen the work that that Office sdoes. And the Office of International Services by Andrew Dean. And then also the Women’s Center. Then there are broader programs around dialogue including All College Day and we just concluded that our theme this year will be “Ending Violence”. There is violence that people feel by way of their identity, by way of their experience. The Unpacking Vassar program which will bring two spoken word artists. These are all attempts to continue the discussion that we started at the beginning of the year. I want to return to those principles. A lot of the work that the VSA does embodies hyose principles. We want to ensure that whoever comes into the VSA feels that they are supported. I would close with the call to think about those principles, equity fairness, honesty, social justice education as outcomes of processes. That is theory but then to think about how we make it real is really a challenge. We all have to think about our own backgrouns and our own biases. I Hopefully you have interfaced with the office on some level. So why don’t I stop there and take questions and observations for the forum. I forgot one important resource that we have. The Bias Incident Response Team. That process and the wholeexperience of responding to bias incidents is a manifesrtation of when those principles are not at work. A way of expressing dissatisfaction is to attakc a group based upon their identities. I’ve experienced many of those and I think its key to have a process that is guided by those principles. I think consistency is really important. When someone says ‘well I don’t think that was handled properly” there is a process. If there is a process and you are following principle, you can judge that.

President: Two questions: what does your role play in student activism? A lot of schools have put out lists of student demands. Is there anything on those lists that you think we should be doing?

Pittman: The role that I play is in listening to students and helping them to brainstorm channels for students to address grievances. If you exhaust all of those channels, students then have to look for other options. I don’t condone taking over a bui;dings, as an administrator, but if you go through the steps and you haven’t reached your goals, I always say stay at the table. As administrators, we are always working with those processes. I have always encouraged students to work through those processes. To be an activist means putting those concerns forward and putting them on the agenda. If activism means constantly being at meetings and writnig letters, that is activism. Others see activism as being on the streets and protesting. The list of demands from schools come from the individuals expereinces at those institutoin so what Vassar students demand may be very different. Vassar students didn’t, to my knowledge, turn to the template that is happening across the country. Each institution is a little different even while there are some national issues that institutions across the country are shatred. I think one movement that is very important is the movement for solidarity between colleges. I think one thing is to look at how microaggressions affect being in the classroom. The social justice requirement is on the table. Part of the activist work means keeping it in front of people and continueing to talk about it.

Noyes: We have restructured the VSA and know we will have a position for Inclusion and Equity. What would you expect from a person in that issue.

Pittman: I would expect having that Co-Chair to be in communication with many of the offices to learn what the concerns are. I think communication is a really fundamental place to begin. You have race, you have class, you have gender, you have sexuality. There are a range of topics under that chair. That chair shouldn’t be the end-all. No one person should have the burden of reflecting all of those issues. Having a strong committee is also important.

Cushing: One of my constituents messaged me– How is Vassar working to support QPOC students? And how is Sheltrese McCoy’s work being utilizeD?

Pittman: The LGBTQ center is oding strong work there. Instituionally it is important to think of how we can support QPOC students. Being able to institutionalize policies that support students. As a principle, that is the way that we can begin to do that. Sheltrese McCoy will have some notes and Judy Jarvis and B NAtah nand others who met with her will share those notes with the administration. Those are our instiutional efforts.

Cushing: How can we exepct to see these changes? Things get lost in discussion? Is there a specific proposal that the VSA  cna expect?

Pittman: There are no specific proposals right now. I see this process as similar to the introduction of gender neutral bathrooms and the specific use of pronouns. It is hard to put a timeline on it but I would think that a lot of things that have been in the table for a while can be addressed within a year.

Pres: My freshmen year, the Campus Climate committee had a series of proposals that made specific demands. What happened to those?

Pittman: I’m not aware of any specific demands currently. If it is something that students are concerned with it becomes a question of how we provide those resources. Can you provide resources without providing a center. I’m not aware of any specific proposals.

Lathrop: Most people agree that Vassar does a good job of recruiting students of high need, there have been a lot of concerns about wha happens when those students get to campus.

Pittman: There is a the TRansitions porgram. We alwasy talk about the Transitions program as a key resource. The question becomes how much after the Transition program can we include resources to support students of high need. It is important to establish the institutionally-based resources. Students should be able to work problems through with an office. If we can support offices to be able to support students that is a key way we can support students of any background. Transition has been a front piece for supporiting students from low-income backgrounds. I remember a coupl years ago I worked with the Class Issues Alliance and we put together a handbook of which administrators to talk to for specific problems.

SoCos: One issue that I see emerge with this dialogue about offices. at the end of the day there are some things that come down to the book. Sometimes students’ financial need just goes by the book. Posse vets only have tutoring funding from the VA. Our policy is that financially, we haven’t looked into it yet. What about when an office says this is where we draw the line, what is the next step for a student? What about an appeals process?

Pittman: I don’t know if there is a built-in process but the whole process with seeking reconciliation. Something happens, where can you turn to to address it or get something changed? I think Dean of the College is the highest level. If we agree that there is inequity there, what can be done? That is the way that it would work. In the end of that process, it might mean a change to a policy. In 1993/1994 we had a policy that gave interational students access to housing over the break but it didn’t offer housing to students from California. There was a disparity based on access. In reveiwing that, it wasn’t equitable. Thart is when we started looking beyond internaitonal students to look at housing during intersessions. That’s an example of how that process opened up a new way of looking at it. I think what you are asking is how can we institutionalize that so that we don’t have to keep doing it every time an issue arises.

SoCos: That is where you would save a lot time. We need to educate students about the right to appeal. The second quesiton is about CLRG.

Pittman: I think onep lace this conversation could happen is the Equal Opportunity Office. It is a place that is supposed to have objectivity. Years ago, there was this concept of a person who is neutral and objective that acts on behalf on community members instead of the administration.

Student Life: I think that Josh asked the question I was gonna ask. We talked a lot about specificty for providing resources for various students on campus. CIE has discussed a lot about undocmented students. Has there been any thoughts in your ofice about how we can get resources in these offices for undocumented students. As Josh said, this isn’t a one-way street. It requres a lot of specific research.

Pittman: You would know more about htat than I do. Campus Life hasn’t been directly involved but we have five members of our team on CIE. There are so many intersections with the office within Campus Life. We all have different spaces where we see these identities intersect. For undocument students, there are always multiple points of intersection.

Stu Life: HAs there been any sort of instituional form of training regarding students of varying backgrounds. I’m thinkning specifically about the CDO.

Pittman: I’m not aware of that. To the CDO’s credit, they have been more engaged with that recently. They have been more engaged with the needs of students, I’m not aware of specific training but the effort has been there but that may be something that comes out of the sub-committee. It is really about awareness.

President: Any other questions?

Pittman: How does VSA feel as a body in addressing issues of fairness equirty and social justice that you are constantly presented with? How do you feel as a group? Arte there any resources nad support that you feel you need? One of the things I think about is the autonomy of the VSA. You all live wihtin a 4-year time period. Administrators have 26 years to get it right. What kind of resources that you feel you need?

Ferry: SOmething I feel would be really hlepful for Council is a packet on what has happened and what has been major problems in the past at our school. And then maybe during training having a presentaiton that deals iwth the history of the problems of the VSA.

THs: I would like a timeline with pictures, a visual.

Pittman: The issues that the VSA deals with on a daily basis are usually not new. In 2004/05 an organization that was challenging had to come before the VSA about fairness and equity. You can also read about it but having a narrative where people are always called in to facilitate and mediate would be helpful. VSA has its own history and its own archives but putting it in context and history. Being able to have access to different narratives would also be important. I cam to this meeting tonight empathizing with the VSA and the tough questions that you all are faces with and the expectations that you feel trying to deal justice. Believe it or not you are always being judged and evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

7:53// Reports

Stu Life: Still working on getting free tampons for campus. I’ve been speaking with Juline who has been coordinating with Vassar pro-health and they have a few ideas about the distribution. What we are looking for now is they can’t provide the budget. We are trying to lock down a financial number and hopefully by tomorrow we will have a number aobut what that will cost. That is going well and hopefully we will have something very soon. CIE is meeting Friday so let me know if you have anything you want to know of for me to say. When I say tampons, I was talking about tampons and pads. IS there anything else?

2019: There is also diva cups.

Ferry: And those last four years.

SoCos: Definitely the student side would be Res Life. This should be a resource for all students but we shouldn’t be the popel who take the whole weight for this service for the whole campus. I think Rebecca, you have spoken with Choice.

2018: Choice was onboard with what we were doing. But you’re talking about more instutional approaches.

SoCOs: Yeah I think evety bathroom should have tampons but we shoiuldn’t be responsible for academic buildings.

Academics: Academics did a lot of brainstrorming this week. We talked about thesis workshops with librarians. Maybe a series of workshops and thesis prepr would be good for next week. We also brinstormed about potential ways about collecting student narratives avout microagrresions in the classroom. Hopefully we will be working on that but also extending the project and making something physical like a zine. The social justice requirement committee met last Friday. It was a fun meetings. We started to flesh out what it oculd look like and wha we would want it to look like.

Pres: City Committee is tabling in the college center. VSA is invited to attend ResLife Spring Training on. On Feb. 21 we’re going to vote on Restructuring. We’re going to finalize two weeks prior. We will voting on the BDS Resolution on March 6, and it will be introduced on Feb. 28.

Noyes: Can I write a report?

Pres: Yes, it will go to Ops.

Activities: Nothing much ,we just planned Spring Leadership Conference.

Finance: Nothing really for me either. Office hours tomorrow 11-12. I met with TQ this week to talk about finance and student treasurer relationships with the administration and accounting.

SoCos: Can you speak to what the intersession policies will be?

Finance: Starting the 18th you should not use your pcards but peiple should not be using them over break. You can use them once the spring term recommences. I will be on vacation drunig winter break. If you email me I am not gonna respond to you until 2016.

8:06// JStreet U Fund App

Finance: I move to make this a closed meeting for 15 minutes. It should be fine for that.

Pres: we are srving as Finance Committee, which is a closed session.

–Closed Session–

Finance: After the discussion, we came to an allocation of 584.50. I’m going to move to allocate this amount.

Pres: Great, we now have 15 minutes to discuss. Anyone can speak.

At-Large: To let anyone know, don’t be afraid to ask us questions, we are down to answer them.

At-Large: We are all really educated about this and if you want to know anything, let us know.

At-Large: Can anyone speak to more specifics to what was discussedi nthe closed session?

Finance: Yes, we spoke about the relationship between JStreet U and Finance in general and then we talked about the conference and also about how Finance runs.

Pieter: What is the relationship between the VSA Finance and Jstreet?

Finace: We talked a little about the history between the groups.

Yaniv: We tried to bring a speakere last fall and there was a debate about whetehr or not to bring a Zionist speaker last fall.

At-Large: Because the VSA is political at this point, because of the political concerns of the council, what is the precedent taht we are setting for a yes vote?

Finance: We tabled this to the VSA, there has never been a denial for this fund app.

SoCos: Finance voted majority to table. There was no yes there was no no.

Henry: A speaker was brought last year. Am I correct to say that that was befroe the 30th VSA council. The Council resolves that it will work towards anti-racism, that it will value and worktoward internsecitonal feminism. I don’t know if this came up in the closed session. It is my position that the politics and the positions at this conference’s [olitics are supportive of a liberal zionist position. That is my understanding. IT is my position that that politic is involved in colonialsim and invoved in an imperial project. I think that that is racist and I want to hear from the Council about that.

Stu Life: JStreet U articulate very well in the closed session on their opinion. I would love for them to rearticulate their position on this.

Matt: We are here because there are concerns about the Zionism of the speakers at this conference. We disagree that the notion that XZionism is inherenlty racist. We arne’t here to explain the history of Zionism or why we a indivduals supprot certain parts of it. We are here to fight the occupation of the West Bank. We are part of a national movement that has shaped governemntal policy in a direction that supports ending the occupation fo the West Bank. If we were to find any speakers who are oppressive, we wil lchallenge them. We aren’t here to birng that toxic ideology to campus. We beleive that an anti-occupation movement that we are anti-racist.

THs: I would like to underline one of the things you just said about nationalism being troubling. I’m thikingf about the protests of the trip to Israel and the non-response of the trip to China. I don’t know of a single nationa that isn’t racsit or sexist. Accoridng to the logic that you guys are prosenting we wouldn’t be allowed to support people who are going to any kind of national political event. The fact that we are spending so much time on this bothers me on so many levels. We don’t have anyone here who is in such staunch support of the occupation. If we don’t have anyone in that room encountering those perspectives. We need people there to learn about those alternate positions. I think these people are well-equipped to bring to Vassar a perspective that is different.

Sara: We’re just voting to see if we can fund a certain number of student to go to this event. This isn’t a question about JStreet U. We want to go to an educational peace conference to learn. The things that we want to learn are how to take concrete steps to end the occupation. THat is why we want to go to this conference. We aren’t voting on Israel-Palestine here. We are voting on one thing.

Jesse: I think it is good that people are encountering different points of view. In terms of whether of Zionism is racism, it is an ideology that is so complex. Are there Zionists that are racist? Yes but it doens’t mean all of the mall. I consider myself a Zionist but I don’t like the occupation.

Ops: I just wanted to bring the conversation back to the fund app. This fund app would be funding students at a particular conference. If we fund students to go to this conference, I don’t see it as funding any individual speaker.

Pres: We just hit time.

Finance: I just wanted to say that this conference should be focused on the fund app. I don’t know what to say about the fund app. I am super ready to vote on this and move on.

Andrew: Just because something is anti-occupation does not mean that it is anti-racist. We strongly support anyhting that supports the end of occupation.

Peiter: I move to extend the conversation by 5 minutes.

18 vote no, 4 vote yes

Pres: If you vote yes right now, the yes means that we will allocate the $584.50 to Jstreet U to attend the conference.

2017: Can we do a ‘speak for’ and a ‘speak against’?

Pres: This vote is just for the fund app.

SoCos: We haven’t had a discussion of Zionism and it deserves a discussion. Right now we are voting on the fund app. The long-term goal is that finance committee gets a recomendation from Council.

Pres: One person speaks for the Yes, one person votes for the No.

FinanceL I think that it is a fine fund app. Looking at this fund app, Finance Committee thinks this is a good decision. I think that we should vote Yes.

At-large Finance Committee Memeber: We fund orgs go to conferences to learn things and return to campus with this knowledge. We need to look at the politics that these org members are going to engage with. Zionism as an idology works with the patriarchy, with racism that is an unjust state on so many levels. Mayn student groups have opposed this ideology because of the inherent racism and sexism. Our financial support says that we are happy to fund these ideologies, even if it is just on a small level. Vote no.

Ops: COuncil members please take a moment to decide your vote.

Voting–

21 yes, 1 abstention

CoOPERAtive Fund App//9:15

At-Large: We were unaware of the Finance Committee’s restriction on the funds we use. I am asking the financial burden of a VSA miscommunication does not fall on the heads of our pre-org leaders first.

Stu Life: Can anyone on Finance speak to this discussion?

SoCos: I feel really bad about this. This goes back to the Catch-22 of policy where we are being asked to take into account this human element. The Finance Committee is designed such that we don’t consider the human element.  I’m arguing for consistency here. Finance I know you weren’t at this meeting. The decision that we came to was about this weird situation in which the org has already spent this money and now we have to figure out whether or not we should pay for this. Ruby you were aware of the rules of this meeting. That is the conversation that we had with Ruby. That is why Finance committee came to that decision.

At-large: I am asking that the human element be reintroduced.

SoCos: Bur now this does set a precedent even if you believe it won’t.

Noyes: Is it a bylaw or rule that we don’t reimburse?

Pres: It is a rule. IT isn’t a bylaw.

SoCos: Rules can be changed but it is up to Council to decide that not Finance Committee.

Finance: This is something that comes up and we have to tell them all the same thing. We don’t retroactively fund events or organization’s purposes. I have really tried to communicate this this year. There have been amply opportunities for this message to be communicated and it would set a weird precedent if this fund app would be the one to break the rule.

At-Large: I don’t see how this sets a precedent.

Finance: For what reason do you believe that this fund app needs that council override versus other fund apps?

At-Large: I don’t think I am in a position to say why other apps shouldn’t be granted funding but I can speak to why our fund app should be allocated funds. The VSA has a lot of money and this is place where a lack of communication set out a person a little under $200. We are asking in view of the situation that one person not bare the brunt of of this financial burden.

SoCos: It puts us in a weird position. If I vote no, am I against the human element of the VSA. I am going to stick by Finance Committee’s decision. An exception became a precedent. I see that issue coming up again and again. I know it sucks and I wish we could do more. We are being put in this weird position. The amount of money is irrelevant.

2017: Usually we don’t retroactively fund things that have already been purchased or have already been advertised. We haven’t funded things that had done one of these things and in this case you have done both. But one thing worth discussing is that usually this cost falls on an org’s budget not an individual’s budget.

2018: I understand what yuo were saying Josh but also I think we should look at this by a case-by-case basis. If this case is baring a brunt on an individual. We are just a college, we aren’t a corporation. I understand the implications that this would have. I am saying this out of my own humanity but also from someone on Finance last year. The humanity in me is overriding how this might affect Finance committee. We should treat our students that shows we care. The argument seems to be that we care much more about VSA than we care about students.

SoCos: The issue is that we are going with humanity versus the rules. I’m not saying we should have an either-or discussion.

Ops: I didn’t want this to become a large conversation. There was miscommunication within our pre-org and miscommunication between the pre-org and the VSA. I’m glad that this has become a conversation about the way we support pre-orgs in the future. We can move on.

At-Large: If there were a way to debit this to the pre-org, we would be fine with that. We are trying to work out personal financial student obligations when there are mixups with reimbursement.

Finance: Depending on whether or not you become a stage-two pre-org and get a larger budget that is then cut by this amount, that is fine. I move to do a zero allocation.

SoCos: I respect and understand what J and 2018 brought up but I think that we need to explore other tools in the toolbox to address this issue.

At-Large: Saying that we can apply for an operating budget next semester allows for the possibility that the operating budget could be denied.

Voting—

yes- $0

no- some other allocation

11 yes,

9 no,

2 abstain

9:40// Ops Update

Ops: We talked about the Shuttle report. It is looking like we are going to try and replace two shuttles as it is and have them run by student employment.

9:41// Constituent Concerns

THs: Several of my constituents are concerned about being run over in the THS. The majority of the complaints have been from Black students. We should ask if we can put up a stop sign in the THs or if we could put up a ‘slow’ sign.

Pres: Apparently there are a lot of rules about stop signs if we should put up slow signs.

Ferry: If it is on our property we have to petition the city council for a sign.

2019: The first year class brought up that they didn’t like the word ‘freshmen’ because it is gendered language. People felt that it was an isolating term. One of my constituents was complaining about not having enough storage space for people living in Noyes when people stay in Noyes over break.

Noyes: In intersession housing you can keep in your locked room any large belongings. Also there is a typing room in the Noyes basement but you can keep your belongings there as well.

2019: I wasn’t speaking from a knowledgeable position but I was just expressing my constituent concern.

J: I wanted to say that living in Noyes is a unique struggle to try to pack all of your stuff into the non-existent storage space in your room for people to use. It does seem to be kind of terrible thing to sort people randomly in a house and then ask this of them.

Raymond: By storage spaces you mean Noyes students having to leave for breaks?

SoCos: Yes this is about Noyes students leaving. They switch on a ‘winter mode’ for all other dorms. It is a financial decision and a sustainable decision.

J: Could the VSA push for a question added to the Sorting Hat about having students staying in your room during break?

Pres: I wrote it down, so yes.

Noyes: It’s not great but the recommendation is that you move everything you can into whatever space that you can. Your room has to be liveable. If there are things you want to move out of the room, there is some limited space available.

2016: I remember last year that we learned that there are some secret rooms that are left open for emergencies.

Pres: They have very very few of those rooms and sometimes are awful. They theoretically exist but very rarely do they actually exist.

Raymond: Also you can have your friends stay in your room.

SoCos: Also in response to what J said about the questionnaire. There is not equity in housing at Vassar. This is part of Noyes just like unrenovated bathrooms are part of Raymond.

Noyes: There is still storage space in Noyes. Intersession housing is important. It isn’t the most comfortable situation but it is community-building.

2016: There should be a question before students arrive.

Ferry: What do they want us to call them instead of freshmen?

2019: They don’t want freshmen to be an offical word describing the class.

SoCos: The lighting for the SoCo path has been an issue. If anyone has been concerned about that, I have been in touch with people about that.

10:00// Seven Sisters Constitution Reaffirmation and Amendments

Noyes: Traditionally each seven sisters school needs two reps and we have two. One change is that the resp aren’t part of the Exec. Also the constitution has to be reaffirmed by every Seven Sisters SGA. The Seven Sisters has a really great power and works together. We talked about the reps doing something on skype more often. We hope this will result in some synergistic opportunities. I motion to vote on it.

2017: Can we discuss the 5.5 sisters thing? As a person who identifies as a woman, I didn’t have the best time at this conference. Maybe its worth us thinking about not being a women’s college in this consortium.

2018: I has a lot of questions asked about the admission of trans students. People seemed to be asking Vassar a lot of questions specifically. Maybe we shouldn’t pbe part of this specific conference, but we still should be part of the Seven Sisters’ coalition. we should continue to attend this conference to solidify this coalition. The Seven Sisters’ coalition could have a lot more power than it does now. I am passionate about us being part of the conference.

J: I went to the conference last year and I didn’t get as much of a feeling of belonging. Since I’m not a VSA member I can say that my impression was that it was at Barnard and the Seven sisters hate Barnard more than the hate Vassar. I did not feel the hostility at Wellesley but I wasn’t there.

Main: As a male student at this conference intended for this women’s college, I didn’t feel excluded. There were some conversations that didn’t include us because we aren’t a women’s college but this conference binds us a a conference of historically women’s colleges. We should look at other conferences that could maybe benefit us more.

Noyes: I agree that as a historically women’s college and a college that supports women’s empowerment we should still attend.

Ferry: I think we should definitely go. We learn things from talking to schools that are focussed on women. IT helps that we go to this conference.

President: In the absence of a different coalition, this is the one that we should be in. I think it is worth some self-reflection about what kind of space we take up. I think this is a question for a later date.

2017: There wasn’t hostility so much as passive aggressive. It felt like the incorrect space for us to be in and not the kind of perspective they need at the conference but I agree that in the absence of another coalition we should continue to attend.

Voting—

21 yes

0 no

0 abstain

Amendments Pass

10:12// Restructuring

Pres: The timeline that we are looking at is that we are voting on February 21st. It is going to be presented on February 27th. For the first week of the semester, we will be doing study breaks. We are also going to do an open forum during the first two weeks of the semester.

Lathrop: I was in my house team meeting last week and my house advisor said that one problem they run into is that appointments for committee reps like CIE and CCL be selected earlier. He wants those joint committee applications to be made available earlier.

Ferry: Is it too much to have a study break in Ferry?

Pres: Not at all.

SoCos: Some people are confused because it is very different. What we have so far is core structure and what we are starting this weekend is about how we adapt the core structure to the rules that exist. We want a specific constitution for the next generations. What we presented so far is the core structure flow charts and documents. We want feedback but we are working on this more in the spring.

2018: We are voting on it Feb 21. I was concerned just talking to my constituents because some people have been really passionately opposed. I really encourage everyone to be involved not only in these study breaks but throuhgout in your daily lives.

Pres: Just to piggyback– make sure you are talking about it but make sure you are talking about it correctly.

Lathrop: My constituents were concerned about the smaller house teams and how separated house teams were with the VSA. Maybe there could be a house team communicator. It would be worth having a VSA liason at house teams.

2018: Those are the exact same concerns I’ve encountered four times.

2017: My class council talked about this. We don’t want to impose this but house presidents have the freedom to attend VSA council meetings. I don’t want to create more free space positions because people don’t want to engage with free and available information.

Lathrop: What if the VSA has a bulletin board in every house?

TAs: My question is about the timeline.

Pres: We’ve gotten feedback about specific items. This is not an all-or-nothing proposal. We can still change it and develop it.

SoCos: What is changing here is not the level of communication it is just a change in the roles.

Pres: I move to endorse the timeline.

Voting—

20 yes

1 no

0 abstentions

Motion Passes

10:28// Council Adjourned